One of our organisation’s core values is ‘Sustainability’. This value sees that we ‘act today with the future in mind’.
The nature of our work as a contractor necessitates that we will have a lasting and permanent presence among the communities of our operating regions. We recognise the responsibility that comes with delivering large scale infrastructure projects and are dedicated to providing sustainable solutions for our clients and stakeholders.
Our sustainability commitments provide direction to, and set objectives for driving our organisation's long-term sustainability. These goals are to:
- Economic: Build and maintain a robust and enduring business, and provide acceptable economic and financial return to our Shareholders;
- Governance & Risk: Meet statutory obligations and ensure responsible governance with transparent reporting by operating in accordance with our third-party certified MacDow Management System. Mitigate risk to acceptable levels through adherence to McConnell Dowell Group Risk Management practices;
- Health & Safety: Ensure the well-being and protection of our workforce, and encourage behaviour and practices that entrench the McConnell Dowell Group’s safety vision ‘Home Without Harm Everyone Everyday’;
- Environmental Impact: Minimise the environmental impact of our activities through the efficient use of resources including energy, water, construction materials, and provide responsible waste management. Promote innovative thinking and practices to achieve positive environmental and sustainability outcomes;
- Community & Social Investment: Make a positive and meaningful difference to the health and well-being of the community through stakeholder engagement, social support and investment. Provide industry leadership through the participation in peak industry associations; and to
- Our People-Employees: Enhance the wellbeing of our workforce through skills and professional development, lifelong learning, increased ability to deliver sustainable outcomes, and participation in the direction of the organisation.
McConnell Dowell Six Themes of Sustainability
To achieve these commitments across all operations, our Sustainability Strategic Plan provides a framework of measures and targets set to drive continuous improvement.
Our reporting initiatives aim to increase the transparency of our business functions, and drive sustainable outcomes across the business.
Our environmental procedures are second to none, with our recent projects taking out the Civil Contractors Federation Earth Awards for innovative and environmentally-friendly project design and delivery.
Recent CCF Award winners include:
- Lorne Pier Redevelopment Project, Victoria (2007)
- Meander RCC Dam, Tasmania (2008)
- Bakewell Underpass, South Australia (State & National Award Winner) (2008)
- Barwon Heads Bridge Redevelopment, Victoria (State & National Award Winner- 2011)
These awards recognise McConnell Dowell’s commitment to delivering environmentally challenging construction projects with an eye for a small development footprint and innovative environmental solutions for the client and community.
We are committed to the protection of the environment and to the reduction of environmental impacts on all projects.
Our goal is to ensure that projects and other activities cause no adverse impact on the environment and that, as a minimum, we comply with all regulatory requirements.
This goal is achieved through a combination of responsible management and planning, the proper allocation of resources to address any environmental sensitivities, and consultation with local and indigenous interest groups.
Our Environmental Management Program is focused on the identification of potential environmental impacts and the development of suitable control and/or preventive measures, including employee training, establishment of on-site protective measures and regular monitoring, inspection and auditing.
We demand a high level of environmental management on all projects and measure this performance through the establishment of targets and indicators at both corporate and project levels. Progress towards achieving targets is reported regularly to Senior Management.