McConnell Dowell South East Asia Pte Ltd has been operating for over 40 continuous years supporting the development of modern Singapore. It has the capacity to carry out a full range of integrated, multi-discipline projects, and is well supported by our regional plant and equipment fleet and significant fabrication facility in Batam.
Our Singapore story begins in 1970, at a small conference, when two very important decisions were made that would steer the company for the next 40+ years:
“McConnell Dowell would specialise in both high risk and technically difficult projects, where engineering skills could be used to analyse the risks … and either devise solutions to overcome them … or quantify the risks financially.”
“McConnell Dowell must go overseas to obtain sufficient growth, as there was insufficient work of this nature in New Zealand.”
So in 1971, we installed a submarine pipeline across the Selatar river and another from Keppel Harbour to Pulau Brani. Things were different back then - on occasions we had to negotiate with crocodile and pig farmers for access to their land - events like this are certainly unlikely to happen now.
EXAMPLES OF ONGOING AND RECENTLY COMPLETED WORKS INCLUDE:
Hin Leong Marine Facilities
Sungei Jurong Lighter Terminal Development
McConnell Dowell’s history in Singapore is long and varied, but just a few of the key achievements are listed below:
- Selatar Sewerage Scheme – at the time the largest concrete pipes ever made in Singapore;
- Pulau Ayer Chawan – 1000-foot 10” pipeline replacement for “Esso Singapore”; and
- Changi International Airport – main drainage system.
- Pasir Gudang power station fuel oil unloading facility;
- 48” crude submarine pipeline from Pulau Merlimau to Pulau Ayer Chawan;
- Stamford canal reconstruction;
- PCS service bridge from Pulau Merlimau to Pulau Ayer Merbau;
- Pulau Hantu Jetty construction;
- Orchard Rd Tangs Underpass; and
- Tampines New Town Sewer.
- Raffles Marina Harbour at Tuas;
- Glaxo, Schering Plough and Merck Sharp & Dohme Pharmaceutical Plants, Tuas;
- Singapore Gas Pipeline Ringmain;
- Esso Berth upgrade – Pulau Ayer Chawan;
- Singapore Aromatics Company - Berth 6;
- Dupont – Pulau Sakra;
- Hoechst Acetyls – Sea Vam Project;
- Oronite Singapore – Pulau Sakra;
- Singapore Cruise Centre – International Cruise Terminal Extension at Harbourfront;
- JTC Jurong Island - VLCC Jetties and Pipelines for ExxonMobil and SRC; and
- Powergrid’s Senoko to Gambas Tunnel.
- Building Construction Authority - Green and Gracious Builder Excellence Award
- Land Transport Authority - ASAC 2011 First Prize for Mega Project Performance at C916 Station and Tunnel project
- Workplace Health and Safety Council - SHARP award for Safety Performance at C916 Station and Tunnel project
- Workplace Health and Safety Council - SHARP award for Safety Performance at Helios Oil Terminal project
If you would like further information on our regional operations please contact us via the Contact Us page.