McConnell Dowell was founded in New Zealand in 1961 by entrepreneurial kiwis Malcolm McConnell and Jim Dowell. The company culture of McConnell Dowell with its focus on overcoming challenges and achieving engineering excellence are characteristics that Jim and Malcolm brought to the business.
We have built capability in delivering complex projects in remote and difficult locations and have firmly cemented ourselves as a leading, multi-disciplined contractor throughout New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. In the last three decades we have completed over 200 projects in the Pacific Islands alone.
The diversity of work we have completed in the Region includes an association with a wide range of clients in the transport, energy, resources, water and wastewater sectors. The breadth of our capability allows us to meet the needs of numerous markets and offer an end-to-end service to all markets in any physical environment.
THE SPECIALIST SERVICES WE DELIVER IN NEW ZEALAND AND THE PACIFIC INCLUDE:
• Tunnel and Underground
Our track record is underscored by the various engineering, safety, and environmental awards we have won. Our award winning team is backed by an extensive resource pool, which allows us to self perform work. We have a full plant fleet and Mechanical Division in South Auckland and our sister company, Electrix, provides specialist electrical services for our projects from its Auckland base adjacent to the MacDow NZ Head Office.
The recent award by the New Zealand Transport Agency of their largest civil works contract to date – the $1.2B Waterview Project – to a consortium comprising MacDow and partners demonstrates the extent of our capability. We are also members of the Stronger Christchurch Infrastructure Rebuild Alliance and the EPC Contractor delivering a $500m contract for Contact Energy to develop its 166 MW Te Mihi Geothermal Power Station in Taupo.
EXAMPLES OF ONGOING AND RECENTLY COMPLETED WORKS INCLUDE:
Other Works Include:
McConnell Dowell is an award winning contractor in NZ. Our focus on achieving excellence in the management of safety, quality, environment, and community relations is demonstrated by the number of accolades we have received on our projects including:
- Te Mihi Power Station: Power Magazine Marmaduke Award 2013
- Taharoa Buoy Relocation 2013: New Zealand Contractors Federation, Winner Category 3
- Christchurch Outfall project: New Zealand Engineering Excellence Waste Water and Amenities Award
- SH1 Mercer to Longswamp: Merit Award 2006 NZCF Construction Awards
- Pike River Coal Mine: 2008 Hirepool / NZCF Construction Award for Excellence in Construction
- Tahuna Ocean Outfall: 2009 NZCF Overall Winner
- Rosedale Ocean Outfall: 2010 NZCF Joint Safety Winner / Joint Winner Overall / Environmental Winner
- Project Hobson Tunnel: 2010 NZCF Overall Award Winner
If you would like further information on our regional operations please visit the Contact Us page.