Our tunnelling capability is unrivalled. More than 30 years experience, the delivery of 130km of tunnels, and over 3 million tonnes of material moved: this is the McConnell Dowell difference.
It might be TBM, road header or drill blast, pipe-jacking, micro-tunnelling or HDD: whatever the requirement, we can deliver. Our state of the art equipment maximises production and significantly reduces costs, and with strong relationships with key suppliers, our team is ready for swift mobilisation. We've broken TBM tunnelling world records during the Blue Mountains Sewerage Scheme, have completed the longest pipejack in the Southern Hemisphere on the Pringle Hill NNA Pipeline, and we're the only contractor in the Southern Hemisphere to have performed three successful TBM marine exercises.
Some of our notable tunnelling and underground projects include:
- Project Milestone – Singapore Metro Tunnelling Completed at Beauty World
- Ambuklao and Binga Hydro Powerplants Rehabilitation, Philippines. Successful rehabilitation and construction of civil structures, shafts and tunnels associated with the powerplants. Download Project Feature
- Bogong Hydro Scheme, design and construction of 6 km of 5 m diameter headrace tunnel, two vertical shafts, a 1 km steel-lined high pressure tunnel, a power station to house twin 70 MW generators, and a tailrace outfall into Lake Guy, Kiewa Valley, Victoria, Australia.
- Construction of 1,200 m long conveyor decline at Mandalong, NSW, Australia.
- Blue Mountains Sewer Tunnel, NSW - excavation of approximately 18 km of gravity tunnels completed 18 months ahead of schedule and achieving several world records for tunnelling. This tunnel (supported by rock bolts and shotcrete) had a 13 km continually advancing conveyor system to remove spoil as well as 12 No. ventilation shafts.
- Senoko to Gambas Cable Tunnel, Singapore - Design and construct twin cable tunnels, 3.7 metre diameter, total length 3.4km together with 3 main access shafts and ME&I fit-out.
- Eastern Distributor Project - southern tunnels section - excavation of double-decker road tunnels by heading and benching methods with roadheaders with hydraulic breakers in Sydney sandstone.